The Colonial Tavern appears as a minor character in this tale at various points…

Message from Gordo’s
“Reserving unto us our heirs & successors free egress of all our and their forces, horse or foot of our and their coaches, wagons horse of war ammunition.”

Not sticklers for spelling, but perhaps foreseeing the rebellion of the colonies, so reads the-lease of the land that is now home to Gordo’s Restaurant. The lease as between the King & Queen of England (Bill & Mary) and Fredrick Philipse of “Mannour” fame. The document was witnessed by Benjamin Fletcher, “our Captain General & Governor in Chief or our Province of New York, Province of Pennsylvania and Country of New Cassellâ?¦â?¦â?¦ “dated the 12th of March, 1694.

A spat with mum some eighty years later freed the property for a long succession of owners who built and operated a hotel, stagecoach stop and most likely, a house of ill-repute. The only building to survive the 200+ years was the hotel which forms the center section of today’s restaurant.

Frank Winzig, a powerfully built truck driver for a local bootlegger “Dutch” Frank, opened the Colonial Tavern at the repeal of prohibition. Mr. Winzig, a big man with a gruff exterior and a heart of gold, operated a hugely successful neighborhood tavern, restaurant for 37 years.

Current proprietors, Art Greason and Gordon Krueger, have been tinkering around Gordo’s since 1971.

Advertisements